Everybody knows in order to get aesthetic results you have to clean up your diet and you have to exercise. However, people often forget that these two things won’t get you your dream body after a week of commitment. Nor will they after a month of it.
CONSISTENCY IS KEY!
I can diet and train like a machine for weeks, but the body I know I am capable of achieving doesn’t start to shine through until I am well into my second month of CONSISTENCY. On top of this, I am lucky. I’ve never been bigger than a big size 10, and if I had, it would take me even longer to see changes.
I know it’s hard when you’re waiting to see changes and someone comes over with brownies, trust me I know it all too well! Here are some tips on how to stay on the wagon:
1. IF YOU DO NOT BUY IT, YOU CANNOT EAT IT! Do NOT buy anything you know is going to set you back! Not on your lunch break, not at the supermarket, not for your partner. Temptation is NOT for the faint of heart, so don’t make life harder for yourself!
2. AVOID RESTAURANTS WHERE HEALTHY EATING IS NOT AN OPTION! Eating out when you’re trying to stay on the diet wagon is not as hard as you think, it largely depends on where you’re going. CHOOSE WISELY! For example, I have to avoid Italian altogether because I am ADDICTED to pizza. But when it comes to Chinese, there is a local restaurant that serves incredible authentic meats and sides of Chinese vegetables. My friends get their noodles, I get my duck and broccoli, and everyone is happy!
3. PREP YOUR MEALS! This is how all the athletes, fitness models and fitspos you know and love stay on track! Invest in some tupperware and when you have a day / night off, cook quadruple what you need for lunch and dinner, stick it in the boxes and voila – you have microwaveable, portable meals to take everywhere with you. Also keep healthy snacks like nuts in your handbag, car and at work so you don’t grab the wrong thing when your tummy rumbles.
4. LOOK INTO PROTEIN POWDERS! I have a sweet tooth and man alive do protein powders save me! I make pancakes out of mine (1 scoop protein, 1 egg), I also make mug cakes and cookies and brittle. If you have a sweet tooth and the idea of eating chicken and broccoli for 3 months solid is a living nightmare for you, have a browse through our supplement associates on the right hand side of the page.
5. SET LONG TERM COMMITMENTS AND SHORT TERM REWARDS! Ok, this is KEY and is what keeps me 100% focused and in track! Right now, I am 100% committed to my diet and training, and I will be until the third week of December when I will eat chocolate Santas, sherry trifle and turkey sandwiches galore! I have been pretty spotless for 4 weeks now, and I’m incredibly excited for what my body will look like come November. It is VITAL that you give 100% for long periods of time, knowing that there will be a short period at the end when you can relax, eat what you want and put your feet up.
6. USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO INSPIRE AND MOTIVATE YOURSELF! My Instagram, my Facebook, my Twitter and my screensaver…all FULL of women who I admire. Women who train hard, who share their struggles, who help with recipe ideas and advice on how to train, and who look INCREDIBLE. Whenever I have some down time, I scroll through my social media accounts and my motivation to stay on track SKY ROCKETS. USE SOCIAL MEDIA!
7. ENJOY THE CHALLENGE! It’s REALLY hard at first, those first 3 weeks in particular are killer, but as the weeks roll on it gets MUCH easier to walk past the doughnuts and say no to the pizza. It actually ends up feeling REALLY good when you’re strong enough to say no, and remember your goals.
8. FIND A HEALTHY INDULGENCE! Mine is milky coffee. Milk isn’t great when you’re trying to lean up, but coffee sure as hell is! I find ways to make 2 or 3 cups of milky coffee fit into my calories and macros every day, and it keeps me sane!
9. TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOUR GOALS ARE! Yes, we all have friends, family and co workers who make comments about how often we’re in the gym. Who tell us they think the fact we’re eating of tupperware means we have an eating disorder. It’s exhausting. But tell them what you’re trying to achieve and WHY. Compare your dream with theirs, something they sacrifice for. Chances are, once they see your passion, they will be able to relate and can support you along the way.
10. REMEMBER THAT RESULTS TAKE TIME! Please do NOT get disheartened when you’re into week 4 and still struggling to see changes. THEY WILL COME! This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, and it may take a few months but TRUST THE PROCESS! If you give 100% to your diet and training, YOU WILL GET THERE!